Friday, December 6, 2013

Goldilocks, anyone?

I have naturally dark brown hair that I sometimes like to highlight. Nothing too dramatic, just a fun light hue that looks gorgeous out in the sun. I have never colored my hair. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always wanted to. The Ombre wave has been hard to resist. But I have persisted with my no-color quest. Processed hair leads to drying. Which means more products to style and tame them. I am not going to clutter my already humble closet with more chemically enhanced products. No way.

So what do I do?

I make a hair mask of coconut oil and lemon juice. I have shoulder length, dark brown hair. So I take the juice from two, ripe, chunky lemons and add it to my coconut oil. You probably refrigerate lemons like I do. Here's a handy tip if you wanna get the maximum juice out of the bad boys? Pop them into the microwave for about 30 seconds. Apply light pressure of your palm and roll them on a hard surface. Now cut into two.


I use organic, unrefined, cold pressed extra virgin Nutiva coconut oil. The smell is delicious and well, coconutty, the touch, light and silky.

First, let’s decode unrefined, extra virgin, cold pressed in layman terms. This means the oil is naturally processed without using any more heat than necessary and is unaltered by additives. This process yields the purest form of oil.

I leave the mask in for about 2 hours and wash it off. You could use lemon juice just as a standalone but killing two birds with one stone is half the fun for a lazy bum like me. So while my hair strands get lighter, my hair is also benefiting from the conditioning properties of the coconut oil.

Yes, I do smart things like that.

Bear in mind, the lightening process isn’t life altering. It takes 2-3 months of regular mask application to achieve the beautiful honey tinted hues. As a bonus, it makes your scalp dandruff-free. I've personally never had a problem with dandruff but many a close friends bear testimony to its effectiveness.


So while I am on the subject of coconut oil let me also tell you some other fun things I do with my trustee coconut oil: 
  • When my skin feels extra parched, I slather some on after a hot shower. It quickly absorbs into the skin.
  • I reach out for it at night when my lips are extra dry and the lip balm just won’t cut it.
  • I rarely apply kohl to my eyes but when I do, I don’t like to see remnants of it for days after. So I dab some coconut oil to a cotton pad and swipe the eyes gently with it and voila! Kohl be gone. For removing mascara I trust only Bioderma, but that’s a whole other love story. And a passionate one at that.
  • I add a spoonful of coconut oil to my banana, strawberry smoothie (I will share the recipe in another post), I have every morning. For those of you with sensitive noses and taste buds, you won’t even know it’s there. Trust me.


And oh! I was kidding about goldilocks. Its lemon, not magic. Think glazed turkey. Yup, that’s the color. Somewhat.

You’re still welcome!



Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment